from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Placed in a pot.
- adj. Grown in a pot: many potted plants in the study.
- adj. Preserved in a pot, can, or jar.
- adj. Slang Intoxicated; drunk.
- adj. Slang Under the influence of a hallucinogenic drug.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of pot.
- adj. Prepared in advance, as though preserved by potting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. preserved in a pot or can or jar
- adj. (British informal) summarized or abridged
- adj. of plants; planted or grown in a pot
Adjective meaning "prepared in advance" first used in a published work, by L. Susan Stebbing in her Pelican classic Thinking to some purpose (1939), where "potted thinking" is defined as "a compressed statement to save us the trouble of thinking." (Wiktionary)