from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The wife, mother, sister, or daughter of a sultan.
- n. The mistress of a sultan, king, or prince.
- n. Any of various green seedless grapes, especially the Thompson seedless, used in producing raisins and a white wine.
- n. The often yellow raisin made from this grape.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pale yellow raisin made from a seedless grape
- n. A female sultan or wife of a sultan
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The wife of a sultan; a sultaness.
- n. A kind of seedless raisin produced near Smyrna in Asiatic Turkey.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mother, a wife, or a daughter of a sultan.
- n. A mistress, especially of a king or prince.
- n. A peculiar form of necklace worn by women in the second half of the eighteenth century.
- n. An obsolete musical instrument of the viol class, having several wire strings, tuned in pairs, like the zither.
- n. In ornithology, same as sultan, 2.
- n. A variety of raisin. See raisin, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pale yellow seedless grape used for raisins and wine
- n. dried seedless grape
Italian, feminine of sultano, sultan, from Arabic sulṭān; see sultan.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)