from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman who seeks social and financial advancement by unscrupulous means. See Usage Note at -ess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female adventurer; a woman who seeks adventure.
- n. A woman of doubtful reputation or suspected character who pursues personal advancement, especially by sexual means; a demirep.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A female adventurer; a woman who tries to gain position by equivocal means.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A female adventurer; a woman engaged in or capable of bold enterprises, especially enterprises of equivocal character.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman adventurer
From adventure + -ess. (Wiktionary)