from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A voluptuous, alluring woman.
- n. One of the beautiful virgins of the Koranic paradise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nymph in the form of a beautiful virgin supposed to dwell in Paradise for the enjoyment of the faithful.
- n. Any voluptuous, beautiful woman.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nymph of paradise; -- so called by the Mohammedans.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Among the Mohammedans, a nymph of Paradise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a voluptuously beautiful young woman
- n. (Islam) one of the dark-eyed virgins of perfect beauty believed to live with the blessed in Paradise
French, from Persian ḥūrī, from Arabic ḥūrīya, nymph, houri, from ḥūr, pl. of 'aḥwaru, feminine of ḥawrā'u, possessing ḥawar, intense whiteness of the sclera contrasting with deep blackness of the iris of the eye; see ḥwr in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French houri, from Persian حوری, from Arabic حور in حورالعين ‘(women) with eyes like gazelles’. (Wiktionary)