from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mythology The Norse goddess of love and beauty; the sister of Frey.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The goddess of love and beauty.
- proper n. A female given name of mostly British usage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. The daughter of Njörd, and goddess of love and beauty; the Scandinavian Venus; -- in Teutonic myths confounded with Frigga, but in Scandinavian, distinct.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Norse myth., the daughter of Njord and sister of Frey. She is the goddess of sexual love, the Scandinavian Venus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Norse mythology) goddess of love and fecundity; daughter of Njorth and sister of Frey
Old Norse Freyja, from freyja, lady; see per1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Scottish form of Old Norse Freyja ("mistress, lady"). (Wiktionary)