from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A Hebrew prophet of the eighth century B.C.
- n. See Table at Bible.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A book of the Old Testament of Bible, and of the Tanakh.
- proper n. A prophet, the author of the Book of Isaiah.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Old Testament) the first of the major Hebrew prophets (8th century BC)
- n. an Old Testament book consisting of Isaiah's prophecies
Late Latin Īsaias, from Hebrew yəša'yāhû, salvation of Yahweh : yēša', salvation; see wṯʿ in Semitic roots + yāhû, Yahweh; see hwy in Semitic roots.
After Isaiah.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Ancient Greek Ἠσαΐας from the Hebrew ישעיהו "Yahweh is salvation". (Wiktionary)