American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- In the Bible, a Hebrew prophet of the sixth century B.C.
- n. See Table at Bible.
- n. The book in the Old Testament of the Bible.
- n. The prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel.
- n. A male given name in regular use since the Middle Ages and recently quite popular.
- n. rare A female given name.
- n. A patronymic surname.
- n. A location in the state of Wyoming in the United States (Zip Code: 83115). (From the U.S. Census Bureau 1990)
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A Hebrew prophet distinguished for sagacity and ripeness of judgment in youth; hence, a sagacious and upright judge.
- n. an Old Testament book that tells of the apocalyptic visions and the experiences of Daniel in the court of Nebuchadnezzar
- n. a wise and upright judge
- n. (Old Testament) a youth who was taken into the court of Nebuchadnezzar and given divine protection when thrown into a den of lions (6th century BC)
- From Ancient Greek Δανιήλ (Dānīēl), from Hebrew דניּאל (daniyél, "God is my judge"). Name borne from the prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel. [Oxford Names Companion, The] (Wiktionary)
- Hebrew Dānī'ēl, Dānīyēl, God is my judge : dān, judge; see dyn in Semitic roots + -ī, my + 'ēl, God; see אl in Semitic roots.After Daniel1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“TOM RUSKIN, SPOKESMAN FOR DANIEL SCHULER (via telephone): Well, it ` s-- it ` s highlighting a tragedy in Daniel ` s life, the Bastardis ` life, the Longos ` life and the Hances `.”
“DANIEL GRAYSTONE In his early 40s, a spectacularly wealthy computer engineer / designer, Daniel is married to Amanda and the father of Zoe — but his extensive business interests leave him little time for his child, whom he still sees as a little girl in pink shoes.”
“Among the names of musical instruments in Daniel iii. 5 and 15, the sixth, generally but wrongly rendered "dulcimer," is thought by many scholars to signify a kind of bag-pipe (see commentaries on _Daniel_ and the theological encyc.).”
“Daniel (@Daniel -- Artest) anticipated fan wrath after the Game 2 loss:”
“Poor daniel, brian, led, dan still hating on the Broncos. tiny wrote: Daniel”
“DANIEL Our little Daniel has gotten a tad arrogant, no?”
“BAR CLASS GRASS student: daniel Favourite lunch Full meal Favourite place Canteen in Engineering Campus Daniel is a student, and he is doing an internship within the Design Faculty.”
“DANIEL DUFFY, LHP - Seems like a long ways away for a pitcher who has been nothing but dominant, but Daniel will be just 23 years old by 2012 and ready to step in to the middle of the rotation.”
“JACK KENNY, CREATOR, "THE BOOK OF DANIEL": Jesus represents the best part of Daniel.”
“PRESIDENT CLINTON NAMES DANIEL GUTTMAN TO THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH REVIEW COMMISSION President Clinton announced today the appointment of Daniel”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Daniel’.
Immortal people after whom waterborne species were named. Most of them have been marine zoologists, I would guess.
e.g. Gates' goblet, Humphrey's buccinum, Turton's moon snail, etc.
Looking for tweets for Daniel.