from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, the older son of Jacob and Rachel and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
- Joseph 2 Originally Heinmot Tooyalakekt. Known as "Chief Joseph.” 1840?-1904. Nez Percé leader who conducted a skillful but unsuccessful retreat from U.S. forces (1877).
- Joseph, Saint fl. first century A.D. In the New Testament, the husband of Mary, mother of Jesus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Eleventh and favorite son of Jacob, by his wife Rachel.
- proper n. The husband of Virgin Mary in the Abrahamic religions.
- proper n. Joseph of Arimathea; man who donated his own prepared tomb for the burial of Jesus.
- proper n. A male given name, popular as a middle name.
ANECITA HUDSON, FREED POW JOSEPH HUDSON'S MOTHER: Yes, I was really exciting that I hope one of the seven was my Joseph.
Joseph (_see Lives of Abraham and Joseph_), 83; as Egyptian statesman, 23.
How her heart beat as Joseph appeared, Joseph, puffing from the staircase in shining creaking boots, Joseph, in a new waistcoat red with heat and nervousness, and blushing behind his wadded neck-cloth.
JOSEPH and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is proving to be a great success at Carlisle's Sands Centre - and you still have the chance to go and see it. leading man: Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat is at Carlisle Sands Centre
Tim Rice's most playful, joyous and feel-good musical, JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT, is a "colorful" retelling of the Biblical life of Joseph and his amazing abilities.
GOOD BUY - SHALRIE JOSEPH New England $450,000 - Joseph along with the underpaid and under appreciated Steve Ralston has been the heart and soul of ...
JOSEPH Joseph has all the class of the city's most illustrious designer stores without that snobbery or stuffiness familiar to so many of them.
PRESIDENT CLINTON NAMES JOSEPH LIMPRECHT AS AMBASSADOR TO THE REPUBLIC OF ALBANIA The President announced today his intent to nominate Joseph
PRESIDENT CLINTON NAMES JOSEPH NYE AS ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE FOR INTERNATIONAL SECURITY AFFAIRS President Clinton announced today his intention to nominate Joseph
Using the name Joseph R. Johnson, he infiltrated the inner circles of the summer camps where fraudulent mediums fleeced their credulous marks, who were derisively called “shut-eyes.”
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.