from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A female lover; a mistress.
- n. Slang A sexually promiscuous woman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sweetheart; a prostitute or a mistress.
- n. A defined opinion.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A loose wench; a disreputable sweetheart.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mistress; a sweetheart; generally, in a bad sense, a paramour.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman who cohabits with an important man
Perhaps from obsolete Dutch docke, doll.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Perhaps from Middle Dutch *doketje, diminutive of docke ("a doll"). Cognate with Low German dokke ("doll"), Eastern Frisian dok, dokke ("a doll"), Swedish docka ("doll, puppet"). (Wiktionary)
From -doxy in orthodoxy, heterodoxy etc. (Wiktionary)