from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tending to signify or indicate; indicative.
- adj. Having meaning; significant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That tends to signify or indicate; indicative
- adj. That has meaning or significance; significant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Betokening or representing by an external sign.
- adj. Having signification or meaning; expressive of a meaning or purpose; significant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Serving as an external sign or symbol of some fact; having a representative signification; intentionally suggestive and almost declaratory; showing forth an internal meaning.
- Significant; serving as a premise from which some state of things may be inferred; conveying a covert meaning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (usually followed by `of') pointing out or revealing clearly
Latin significativus: compare French significatif. (Wiktionary)