American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Resembling a sketch; giving only major points or parts.
- adj. Lacking in substance or completeness; incomplete.
- adj. Slight; superficial.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the form or character of a sketch; suggesting in outline rather than portraying by finished execution: as, a sketchy narrative.
- Characteristic of a sketch; slight; undetailed; unfinished.
- adj. Roughly or hastily laid out; intended for later refinement.
- adj. Resembling a comedy sketch, of sketch quality.
- adj. slang Of questionable or doubtful quality.
- adj. slang, of a person Suspected of taking part in illicit or dishonorable dealings.
- adj. slang, of a person Disturbing or unnerving, often in such a way that others may suspect them of intending physical or sexual harm or harassment.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Containing only an outline or rough form; being in the manner of a sketch; incomplete.
- adj. giving only major points; lacking completeness
- sketch + -y (Wiktionary)
“Pretty Little Liars' new guy Caleb has been described as a "sketchy guy with a heart of gold," but after last week's episode it seems he just may be the former.”
“She gave him an anti-inflammatory called Deremaxx (which I'm pretty sure is the brand of condom they sell in sketchy gas station men's rooms) and told him to take it easy for a week.”
“In one particularly interesting example, we see him reconstruct a massive Roman temple, the Temple of Fortune, but in sketchy form, with "how they did it" merging with "how I'd do it.”
“Some of the details of the proposed reforms remain sketchy, and those details are important.”
“Regulation either requires more cops, which are an expensive kind of work force, or automated systems, which are sketchy from a legal point of view.”
“As far as details go, they remain sketchy at most.”
“The details remain sketchy as, by that time, both his mother and grandmother were dead, both having taken their secret to the grave, and Nicholson subsequently had next-to-no contact with his real father.”
“Much has been said about this critic as a peculiarly powerful teacher, but de Man's influence on academic literary and cultural criticism far exceeds the limits of an identifiable school or clique, and often manifests itself in sketchy and unacknowledged fashion within scholarly work that may not desire (or even know that it has) a filiation to de Manian rhetorical reading.”
“The details of the Henan incident remain sketchy and the number of casualties is in dispute.”
“I took the Fung Wah bus both ways - don't believe people who say the chinatown buses are "sketchy" - they were awesome.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sketchy’.
Words that describe the art of the impressionist era.
sniglets and neologisms | protologisms
random neologisms, compound words plus more
( randomness )
Collection of words from Old Blighty
Words that mean "cool" around the world and through the ages.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Slang from all areas and time periods.
Looking for tweets for sketchy.