from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Failing to meet a standard; below standard.
- adj. Linguistics Of, relating to, or indicating a pattern of linguistic usage that does not conform to that of the prestige group in a speech community or to that of the standard language.
- adj. Linguistics Not in accord with notions of good English; nonstandard. See Usage Note at nonstandard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of inferior quality; not meeting the minimum quality requirements.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Less than the normal standard.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. falling short of some prescribed norm
Sorry, no etymologies found.