from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Varying from or not adhering to the standard: nonstandard lengths of board.
- adj. Linguistics Associated with a language variety used by uneducated speakers or socially disfavored groups.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not standard.
- adj. Not conforming to the language as used by the majority of its speakers.
- n. Something that is not standard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. varying from or not adhering to a standard. Opposite of
- adj. Not conforming to the language usage of a prestige group within a community. Opposite of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not conforming to the language usage of a prestige group within a community
- adj. not standard; not accepted as a model of excellence
- adj. varying from or not adhering to a standard
non- + standard (Wiktionary)