from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The specifications, as for a building to be constructed.
- n. Speculation.
- transitive v. To write or supply specifications for.
- adj. Of or relating to specifications: a manufacturer's spec sheet.
- adj. Done, constructed, produced, or purchased as a speculation: a spec job; a spec house.
- idiom on spec On a speculation basis; with no assurance of profit: houses built on spec; writes TV commercials on spec.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. short form of specification
- n. short form of speculation
- n. short form of specialization
- n. short form of special
- n. a special place (for hiding or viewing)
- v. To specify, especially in a formal specification document.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A colloquial abbreviation of speculation.
- n. In natural history, an abbreviation of specimen: with a plural specs., sometimes specc. Compare sp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a detailed description of design criteria for a piece of work
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Spec. new @spec = @user. spec @user. faq | | = Faq. new @faq = @user. faq end The two-variable definition pattern evident in this action is quite common, and each one can be condensed into one line as follows:
= User. find (session [: user_id]) @user. spec | | = Spec. new @spec = @user. spec end We've also created a spec instance variable for use in the hub view.
We've seen before how we can access a spec through a user using an expression such as user. spec; here we see the complementary ability to access a user through a spec with spec. user.id.6 One other aspect of test_edit_success deserves note: The authorize function, which previously lived in the User controller test (Section 6.3.2), has been moved to the test helper so that it can be used by multiple controllers: 5 Recall that assigns looks for an instance variable in the corresponding action, so assigns (: spec) looks for @spec in the action.
274 Chapter 9: Personal profiles @response = ActionController:: TestResponse. new @user = users (: valid_user) @spec = specs (: valid_spec) end ... def test_edit_success authorize @user post: edit,: spec = >
For those who don't know what "on spec" means: spec is short for "speculation".
We're taking one of the floors and we're out what we call spec suites, and I think some other companies call as build suites, which is a product that is very attractive in Santa Monica.
He reminded us that Cannondale had several models of the CAAD9 ranging in spec from Dura-Ace to 105.
I was working on the thinning space problem, and had the test rig up and operating within spec when that dropped out of thin air onto the counter.
A lot of villains in spec fic films aren't real interesting to me.
As Tim said, writing a sequel on spec is a whole other level of folly.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.