from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- interj. Used as a mild oath.
- n. Slang Used as an intensive: had a heck of a lot of money; was crowded as heck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- interj. Hell.
- n. Hell.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The bolt or latch of a door.
- n. A rack for cattle to feed at.
- n. A door, especially one partly of latticework; -- called also heck door.
- n. A latticework contrivance for catching fish.
- n. An apparatus for separating the threads of warps into sets, as they are wound upon the reel from the bobbins, in a warping machine.
- n. A bend or winding of a stream.
- n. hell; -- a euphemism. Used commonly in the phrase “What the heck”.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A door with an open or latticework panel, or having its upper part hinged independently of the lower part.
- n. A latticed gate.
- n. A rack for holding fodder for cattle.
- n. A contrivance for catching fish, made in the form of a latticework or grating: as, a salmon-heck.
- n. In weaving, one of two or more vertical frames with gratings having eyes for receiving the warp-threads, each eye receiving one thread of the warp, and the alternate vertical motion of the gratings separating the warp-threads to form an opening or shed for the passage of the shuttle.
- n. A latch or bolt, for fastening a door.
- n. The bend or winding of a stream.
You have to ask questions and verify just what in heck is being asked of your that's so important it needs your signature.
What the heck is a mature woman, who wants to remain fashionable, supposed to do?
At first, to be honest, I was a little demoralized – I mean, what the heck is the point of the euphoria I felt upon being named a New York Times Best Seller, if not to receive, what?
What the heck is the upside on these things that compensates for this risk?
MexConnect. com Forums: Specific Focus: Mexican Kitchen: What the heck is a Timbiriche???
Yes | No | Report from madtrapper wrote 28 weeks 3 days ago what the heck is an ipod
So if it's killing jobs, then why the heck is there lower unemployment?
Willie Brown and Anonymous: What the heck is your problem?
Sarah what the heck is your real reason for quiting.
If one has no affordable coverage or denied due to a pre-existing condition, what the heck is a Republican "tax cut" going to provide?!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.