from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being affected by stigmata.
- n. The state of a refracting or reflecting system in which light rays from a single point are accurately focused at another point.
- n. Normal eyesight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Image-formation property of an optical system which focuses a single point source in object space into a single point in image space
- n. Normal eyesight, anastigmatic state
- n. State of having some stigmata
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition in which stigmata are present.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. normal eyesight
- n. (optics) condition of an optical system (as a lens) in which light rays from a single point converge in a single focal point
- n. the condition of having or being marked by stigmata
Derived from Ancient Greek στίγματος (stigmatos, "point") + -ism. (Wiktionary)