from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or quality of being turbulent: times of turbulence and confusion.
- n. Turbulent flow.
- n. An eddying motion of the atmosphere that interrupts the flow of wind.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or fact of being turbulent or agitated; tempestuousness, disturbance.
- n. Disturbance in a gas or fluid, characterized by evidence of internal motion or unrest.
- n. Specifically, a state of agitation or disturbance in the air which is disruptive to an aircraft.
- n. An instance or type of such state or disturbance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being turbulent; a disturbed state; tumult; disorder; agitation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being turbulent; a disturbed state; tumultuousness; agitation; disorder; commotion; refractoriness; insubordination.
- n. Syn. Tumult, riot, sedition, mutiny, insurrection.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of violent disturbance and disorder (as in politics or social conditions generally)
- n. instability in the atmosphere
- n. unstable flow of a liquid or gas
Sorry, no etymologies found.