from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Excessive, irrational zeal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The characteristic or practice of being a fanatic.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Excessive enthusiasm, unreasoning zeal, or wild and extravagant notions, on any subject, especially religion, politics or ideology; religious frenzy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or conduct of a fanatic; inordinate zeal or bigotry; the entertainment of wild and extravagant notions, especially in regard to religion.
- n. Synonyms Credulity, Bigotry, etc. See superstition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. excessive intolerance of opposing views
fanatic + -ism (Wiktionary)