from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being petty.
- n. A petty behaviour, attitude, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being petty or paltry; littleness; meanness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character of being petty; smallness; littleness; triviality.
- n. Synonyms Smallness. etc. (see littleness), frivolousness, triviality, insignificance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being unimportant and petty or frivolous
- n. lack of generosity in trifling matters
- n. narrowness of mind or ideas or views
Sorry, no etymologies found.
So, as always, Betty's pettiness is to blame for all things.
Eric Fehrnstrom, a spokesman for Mr. Romney, fired back today in a statement: This type of pettiness is beneath Mike Huckabee.
And when I came to the word pettiness, and his request that we stop it, well, isn't that the bottom line to any kindof grassroots movement?
Your pettiness will be the wreath you lay at the foot of your childrens graves.
Can we please move on from this kind of pettiness?
But I'm not looking forward to 4 years of this kind of pettiness either.
I don't think that this kind of pettiness is a very good match with Obama's notion of hope, change and progress...if anything, it seems like backpedalling...
So it is either a kind of pettiness one would expect more from a John McCain than an actual adult, or it is John Bolton-esque contempt for diplomacy with those “godless commies,” or, probably, a combination of the two?
And those issues are far too important to all of us to be obfuscated by the kind of pettiness we hope to never see in our leaders.
Those who by dint of mental effort can understand a kind of pettiness which, for that matter, can be found on any and every social level, will realize the awe with which the bourgeoisie of Angouleme regarded the Hotel de Bargeton.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.