American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The attitude, state of mind, or behavior characteristic of a bigot; intolerance.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or mode of thought of a bigot; obstinate and unreasonable attachment to a particular creed, opinion, practice, ritual, or party organization; excessive zeal or warmth in favor of a party, sect, or opinion; intolerance of the opinions of others.
- n. Synonyms Credulity, Fanaticism, etc. (see superstition), narrow-mindedness, prejudice, intolerance.
- n. Intolerance or prejudice, especially religious or racial; discrimination (against); the characteristic qualities of a bigot.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of mind of a bigot; obstinate and unreasoning attachment of one's own belief and opinions, with narrow-minded intolerance of beliefs opposed to them.
- n. The practice or tenets of a bigot.
- n. the intolerance and prejudice of a bigot
- From French bigoterie, from bigot. (Wiktionary)
“Is there such a thing as mocking that does not deserve the label bigotry?”
“It makes it sound as if these are violent attacks, rather than attempts to get legislation passed to ban CPCs. liberals don't know what the term bigotry means.”
“Both are bad, but don't confuse one with another: liberals don't know what the term bigotry means.”
“It does not matter what one calls bigotry aimed at Muslims.”
“It does not matter what one calls bigotry aimed at Jews.”
“She says Latinos are going to mobilize with voter registration efforts and by exposing what she called bigotry, adding, her community believes, Lou, the gloves really need to come off.”
“It is felt by many that strong philosophical conviction, while it does not (as they perceive) produce that sluggish and fundamentally frivolous condition which we call bigotry, does produce a certain concentration, exaggeration, and moral impatience, which we may agree to call fanaticism.”
“The most dangerous kind of bigotry is the kind that is not acknowledged.”
“That kind of bigotry is not accepted anymore, and soon the bigotry against homosexuals will be a crime, if it is not already.”
“(If you think "bigotry" is too harsh a word, check out what AMERICAblog has found out in terms of the connection between Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, and David Duke, the Louisiana Klansman who crawls out from under a rock every so often to run for office.)”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bigotry’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Due to my absolute ignorance of masonry and masonic terms, this list is shamelessly copied from this masonic dictionary.
Feel free to add words (as soon as I complete my transcription).
Interesting words and usages.
Looking for tweets for bigotry.