from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Evangelical beliefs or doctrines.
- n. Adherence to a church or party professing evangelical beliefs or doctrines.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. (historical) Lutheranism.
- n. Protestant movement basing its theology almost entirely on Scripture, which is held to be inerrant.
- n. Christian fundamentalism.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Adherence to evangelical doctrines; evangelism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Adherence to and insistence upon evangelical doctrines, especially in the Church of England: sometimes employed as a term of opprobrium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. stresses the importance of personal conversion and faith as the means of salvation
From Greek evangel(ion), ‘gospel’ + adjectival ending + ism. (Wiktionary)