from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or quality of being sordid.
- n. The result or product of being sordid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being sordid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being sordid.
- n. Baseness; vileness; depravity.
- n. Mean, mercenary selfishness or covetousness: as, the sordidness of gambling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. unworthiness by virtue of lacking higher values
- n. sordid dirtiness
Even the food at meals had that awful dreary sordidness which is so repulsive to a young thing coming from abroad.
All about me were still the same sordidness and wretchedness, and up above me was still the same paradise waiting to be gained; but the ladder whereby to climb was a different one.
Nowhere do we find more vividly portrayed the psychology of the persons that lived in that turbulent period embraced between the years 1912 and 1932 -- their mistakes and ignorance, their doubts and fears and misapprehensions, their ethical delusions, their violent passions, their inconceivable sordidness and selfishness.
No room here for all the sordidness, meanness, and viciousness that filled the dirty pool of city existence.
Francisco, with its restless shipping, belching factories, and thundering traffic, did not confuse her; instead, she comprehended swiftly the pitiful sordidness of Twenty Mile and the skin-lodged
Here life offered nothing but sordidness and wretchedness, both of the flesh and the spirit; for here flesh and spirit were alike starved and tormented.
* Addressing the dinner guests, Rabbi Jacob Rothschild said, “You gather to honor a man but you honor a city as well, a Southern city that has risen above the sordidness of hate and prejudice.”
We are shown the corrida in all its sordidness and cruelty.
For we lived on the heights, where the air was keen and sparkling, where the toil was for humanity, and where sordidness and selfishness never entered.
He gazed across the monstrous sordidness of soul to a chromo on the wall.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.