American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Moral corruption or degradation.
- n. A depraved act or condition.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being depraved or corrupt; corruption; degeneracy: as, depravity of manners or morals.
- n. Specifically.
- n. In theology, the hereditary tendency of mankind, derived from Adam through his descendants, to commit sin; original sin. By many theologians depravity is distinguished from actual sin, which they regard as consisting wholly in voluntary action.
- n. Profligacy, baseness, degeneracy, vice, demoralization.
- n. uncountable The state or condition of being depraved; moral debasement.
- n. countable A particular depraved act or trait.
- n. uncountable, Christian theology Inborn corruption, entailing the belief that every facet of human nature has been polluted, defiled, and contaminated by sin.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state of being depraved or corrupted; a vitiated state of moral character; general badness of character; wickedness of mind or heart; absence of religious feeling and principle.
- n. moral perversion; impairment of virtue and moral principles
- n. a corrupt or depraved or degenerate act or practice
“There are some who pretend to be so learned, in what they call the depravity of human nature, that, after having heard you speak thus admirably in favour of virtue, they would think it more than an equal chance that you are one of the wickedest of men. ”
“Do you know how much sexual depravity is in the Bible?”
“Total depravity is the fallen state of man as a result of original sin.”
“It could be argued that this sort of easy portrayal of the conflict between decency and depravity is false to the actual content of evil, a sentimentalized response.”
“There would come a point where I think faith takes over, where people left to suffer in depravity (like the Ore ship) would have to believe that any portent of hope is more than chance.”
“As someone else mentioned, this kind of logic and moral depravity is probably matched only by al Qaeda itself, who see their maiming and murder of innocents as entirely morally justified because of the "existential threat" that the US poses to them and theirs (in their sick minds).”
“But you and Yoo and your ilk need only breathe the word "terrorist" and then any depravity is acceptable.”
“This bias towards evil is sometimes called depravity or original sin.”
“The proper response to depravity is to remember victims such as Nequiel Fowler, to comfort the bereaved, and to embrace life.”
“Sarcasm aside, the underlying cause of our depravity is our false, skewed and fractured consciousness which our malignant system begins hammering into our minds as we draw our first breath.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘depravity’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Know these common SAT words
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
List of most of the words I've learned
Collection of my wordnik word search
mostly from magoosh
Words from the new GRE : This list consists mostly of words from the book Magoosh-GRE-vocab-ebook, which is one of the best vocab materials available, especially if you have started preparing one ...
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Looking for tweets for depravity.