from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An abnormality in neuromuscular activity characterized by rapidly alternating muscular contraction and relaxation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a muscular spasm with regular contractions
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A series of muscular contractions due to sudden stretching of the muscle, -- a sign of certain neuropathies.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, alternating contractions and relaxations of a muscle following one another in somewhat quick succession. See clonic spasm and ankle-clonus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. convulsion characterized by alternating contractions and relaxations
New Latin, from Greek klonos, turmoil.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin, from Greek κλονος ‘turmoil’. (Wiktionary)