from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The property of being barren; the property of not supporting life.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being barren; sterility; unproductiveness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being barren.
- n. Want of fertility; total or partial sterility: infertility: as, the barrenness of the land.
- n. Want of the power of producing anything; want of instructiveness, suggestiveness, interest, or the like; want of matter: as, “barrenness of invention,”
- n. Defect of emotion, sensibility, or fervency.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state (usually of a woman) of having no children or being unable to have children
- n. the quality of yielding nothing of value
barren + -ness (Wiktionary)