from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being grateful; thankfulness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being grateful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being grateful; warm and friendly feeling toward a benefactor; kindness awakened by a favor received; thankfulness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being grateful or thankful; a warm and friendly feeling in response to a favor or favors received; thankfulness.
- n. Synonyms See grateful.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feeling of thankfulness and appreciation
Middle English, from Old French, probably from Late Latin grātitūdō, from Latin grātus, pleasing; see gwerə-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French gratitude, from Medieval Latin gratitudo ("thankfulness"), from Latin gratus ("thankful"). (Wiktionary)