from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Out of each hundred; per hundred.
- n. One part in a hundred: The report states that 42 percent of the alumni contributed to the endowment. Also called per centum.
- n. A percentage or portion: She has invested a large percent of her salary.
- n. Chiefly British Public securities yielding interest at a specified percentage.
- adj. Paying or demanding interest at a specified percentage: a 5 1/2 percent checking account.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A part or other object per hundred
- n. percentage.
- adj. Expressed in percents; usually together with a number.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a proportion in relation to a whole (which is usually the amount per hundred)
From per cent., abbreviation of per centum, by the hundred : per, per; see per + centum, hundred.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin per centum ("for every hundred"). (Wiktionary)