American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Inventive skill or imagination; cleverness.
- n. Imaginative and clever design or construction: a narrative plot of great ingenuity.
- n. An ingenious or imaginative contrivance.
- n. Obsolete Ingenuousness.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Ingenuousness; frankness; openness of heart.
- n. The quality of being ingenious; inventive capacity or faculty; aptness in contrivance or combination, as of things or ideas; skill; cleverness: as, ingenuity displayed in the construction of machines, or of arguments or plots.
- n. Ingenious contrivance; skilfulness of design, construction, or execution: as, the ingenuity of a machine; the ingenuity of a puzzle or a poem. Synonyms Abilities, Cleverness, etc. (see
genius); inventiveness, turn, knack, smartness.
- n. The ability to solve difficult problems, often in original and creative ways
- n. Ingenuousness; honesty, straightforwardness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or power of ready invention; quickness or acuteness in forming new combinations; ingeniousness; skill in devising or combining.
- n. Curiousness, or cleverness in design or contrivance.
- n. obsolete Openness of heart; ingenuousness.
- n. the property of being ingenious
- n. the power of creative imagination
- From Latin ingenuitās. (Wiktionary)
- Latin ingenuitās, frankness (influenced by ingenious), from ingenuus, ingenuous; see ingenuous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
““The crucial test for the solution of all these intricate problems which confront and challenge our ingenuity is the sheer and forceful application of those immutable laws which down the corridor of time have always guided the hand of man, groping as it were for some faint beacon of light for his hopes and aspirations.””
“Human ingenuity is not infinite; we just do not know its bounds.”
“I don't know if human ingenuity is infinite or not.”
“I guess that sort of clean-slate ingenuity is something else America has claimed for itself as time goes on; no wonder Pyotr Ilyich is a perennial honored guest.”
“Tim is also a believer in American ingenuity and knows that products like Patch will help deliver a commercially viable way for communities to support the important work of local journalists, institutions, governments, and businesses.”
“The combination of science and human ingenuity is an unbelievably powerful thing.”
“This ingenuity is matched by Reynolds 'performance; carrying a ninety minute movie solo is no easy task, but he depicts a range of emotions from rage to terror to joy with believable aplomb.”
“Kudos to Kellogg - this initiative shows a wonderful degree of ingenuity from the company in terms of reducing packaging costs and environmental impact as well as better meeting the needs of retailers and consumers at the same time.”
“Calling attention to surface ingenuity is a feature of young styles, of the brand-new; the subjugation of that ingenuity to the overall artistic intent is a feature of mature styles — the possibilities have been explored, now it's time to think about why more than how.”
“Therefore, by reason of consistency, you must concede that the fact that human ingenuity is required to explain the causal origins of computers does not mean computers are not likewise bona fide intelligent agents. aiguy, you are arguing with yourself.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ingenuity’.
A list of words which yield surprising, beautiful, amusing, or otherwise noteworthy images here on Wordnik.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
Italian-English false friends.
One a day, maybe even less.
Contributors: Prolagus, bilby
These words are from Samuel Richardson's novel Clarissa, Or, The History of a Young Lady, 1747-48
All my favourite words that I come across!
Looking for tweets for ingenuity.