American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.
- n. Good health or physical condition, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
- n. Biology The extent to which an organism is adapted to or able to produce offspring in a particular environment.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being fit or suitable; suitableness; adaptedness or adaptability of one thing to another; hence, congruity; befittingness; meetness: as, the fitness of things; the fitness of a thing for the purpose intended.
- n. The state of being fitted or qualified; requisite capacity; qualification: as, he lacks fitness for the place.
- n. The condition of being fit, suitable or appropriate.
- n. The cultivation of an attractive and/or healthy physique.
- n. UK, slang The condition of being attractive, fanciable or beautiful.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being fit
- n. the quality of being qualified
- n. the quality of being suitable
- n. good physical condition; being in shape or in condition
- n. fitness to traverse the seas
- fit + -ness. (Wiktionary)
“Protein fitness is defined by the properties of organic chemicals, which may indeed be (as you contend) the evidence of telic forethought, but that is entirely outside the scope of the subject weasel is addressing.”
“The doctrine of evolution uses the term fitness in a hard and stern sense.”
“There are a whole host of other errors in this i09 article, and I'll just pick this one: It does not use the term fitness correctly.”
“The biological concept of "fitness" is what engineers often call an "error function.”
“This trip was shrouded in secrecy – players included – before it took place and it has become a monumental source of embarrassment since it was revealed that Jimmy Anderson damaged a rib in a boxing bout during the trip and that his fitness is in doubt ahead of the first Test in Brisbane.”
“Ed Baig has trying out "brain fitness" software and Web-based offerings that aim to bolster cognitive skills through games and mental ...”
“Playing brain fitness games CogniFit, InSight, Lumosity”
“I've been trying out "brain fitness" software and Web-based offerings that aim to bolster cognitive skills through games and mental exercises: The CogniFit Personal Coach promises to "slow down cognitive decline.”
“Lumosity suggested a brain fitness program for me consisting of 40 sessions of five games each.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fitness’.
English words used by foreigners in a different sense than they would be used by native speakers + madeupical "English" words that sound English but are not recognized as such by native speakers of...
Here is a list of Double Letter Words! Everyone is welcome to add some more words if needed!
Words we have to use all the time, but that doesn't mean they sound good. In fact, they kind of suck. See also this list.
Listed various words that have come into my mind. Will edit them at some point - honestly.
dog-gold, shoulderlooker, mr. considering, the pigwoman, stevie is waiting, chingwybodganpwy, thelandscapeisstu..., couchsurfing, cappuccinodrinking, meat-eater, posher, mae rhaid i fi fynd and 581 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
from the poetry and prose of walt whitman
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Looking for tweets for fitness.