from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Extreme indulgence in sensual pleasures; dissipation.
- n. Orgies.
- n. Archaic Seduction from morality, allegiance, or duty.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Indulgence in sensual pleasures; scandalous activities involving sex, alcohol, or drugs without inhibition.
- n. Seduction from duty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Corruption of fidelity; seduction from virtue, duty, or allegiance.
- n. Excessive indulgence of the appetites; especially, excessive indulgence of lust; intemperance; sensuality; habitual lewdness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures of any kind; gluttony; intemperance; sexual immorality; unlawful indulgence of lust.
- n. Corruption of morality or fidelity; seduction from duty or allegiance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wild gathering involving excessive drinking and promiscuity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At least in the conventional, stereotypical, Nikki Sixxian definition of the term debauchery, EMP is a “no rocking” zone.
He mentions an area at the end of one irrigation canal known as Gulkana, "a secluded, cozy spot ... (where) much debauchery is indulged in" and offers this parody of Hafiz he heard there:
Who wants to live in a country where even the smallest ‘offence’, the wrong garbage, overlapping the parking lines, sees a weeks grocery bills in fines while serious violent crime and drunken debauchery is defended.
Alisa, debauchery is productive if your aim is intoxication, but perhaps not so much if you want to be a contributing member of society.
Wait a minute here, you don't think that debauchery is productive???
An evening of debauchery is allowed when you've spent the earlier hours baking sweet cookies for your friends, isn't it?
But their debauchery is short-lived - the Vampire Queen awakens to slay her natural enemies.
While most of my trips to Las Vegas were for short term debauchery (of which I rarely participate in since I don't gamble, don't like strip clubs, and don't drink much), I thought I'd give CES a try this year since most of my partners and a bunch of my friends were going.
“nuns of Theleme” are physically pure: their debauchery is of the mind, not the body.
For instance, the country has a laws against so-called debauchery, and violating religious teachings which Human Rights Watch points out was used to arrest 52 gay men at a club in 2001.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.