from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A riotous drinking party.
- n. Boisterous drunken merrymaking or revelry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A noisy feast with much alcohol consumption.
- n. A loud and noisy social gathering.
- n. Joining with friends to drink alcohol.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A jovial feast or festival; a drunken revel; a carouse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A feast or festival; a noisy drinking-bout or revel.
- n. Synonyms Revel, Carousal, Wassail, Spree, Debauch, Saturnalia, Orgy agree in expressing times of excess in drinking; some of them include other sensual pleasures. They are in the order of strength and consequent reprobation implied. A revel is accompanied with some drunkenness, disorder, and noise. A carousal is by derivation a time of drinking deeply; it may be a bacchanalian feast, a noisy, unrestrained drinking-bout. Wassail is limited by its associations with the past so as to he chiefly poetic or to express deep drinking. Spree is considered a colloquial word, but seems likely to win recognition as a convenient word for a period of drunkenness which incites to wild and reckless action. Debauch is distinctively excess, having less reference now than formerly to eating, applying chiefly to gross lewdness or drunkenness, which is often prolonged. Saturnalia, like wassail, has historical associations; it is a strong word for license, noisy revelry, gross and continued debauchery. Orgy is by derivation a secret nocturnal debauch, and by usage a time of joining in a wild or frantic abandonment to drunkenness or lust, or both—the extreme in that kind of misconduct. See feast.
- n. A tilting-match or similar pageant; military exercises; a tournament in which cavaliers executed various evolutions, sometimes intermingled with allegorical dances and scenic representations.
- n. See carrousel, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. revelry in drinking; a merry drinking party
carouse + -al (Wiktionary)