American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having or exhibiting many colors.
- adj. Of or composed of radiation of more than one wavelength: polychromatic light.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Many-colored: as, polychromatic light.
- In mineralogy, exhibiting a play of colors
- adj. Showing a variety, or a change, of colours; having many colours; multicoloured.
- adj. physics Composed of more than one wavelength.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Showing a variety, or a change, of colors.
- adj. (of light or other electromagnetic radiation) composed of more than one wavelength
- adj. having or exhibiting many colors
“She and Mr. Sauerbruch design what she calls polychromatic buildings, which incorporate color as a building material.”
“Their walls are covered with paintings of the highest interest; their ceilings are rich in polychromatic decoration; and many are adorned with pillared porches cut in the solid rock.”
“The building, surrounded by gardens and approached through a grand gateway, was damaged by artillery in the Spanish civil war but still contains a riot of Moorish-influenced tiling, carved cedar doors, polychromatic wooden panels, and fine columns and arches reminiscent of the Alhambra.”
“The church where the mass was held is also an impressive example of polychromatic Gothic revival, and is worth studying in detail.”
“Seurat's works in the Milwaukee exhibition include an unusual polychromatic drawing, "The Meadow," on loan from the Guggenheim.”
“After a car crash in 2008 sidelined bassist Chi Cheng with a brain injury, his Sacramento bandmates shelved finished album Eros and enlisted fill-in Sergio Vega to embark on an uplifting, polychromatic homage to their fallen brother.”
“His face liquefies, drips chin residue into a polychromatic pool.”
“This inevitably begins by voluntarily connecting a personal story to a larger one, or several larger ones, and is a purpose-driven path to express polychromatic civic values.”
“Mae West" also includes a new polychromatic interpretation of their unique Venini chandelier, which created a sensation last year in a white version.”
“The plantings at Powell are mostly pointillist and polychromatic.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘polychromatic’.
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Looking for tweets for polychromatic.