from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An adventurous, unconventional act or undertaking.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A daring or adventurous act; an undertaking which goes against convention.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The fling of a horse, or ordinary kicking back of his heels; a gambol.
- n. Act by which one breaks loose from the rules of propriety or good sense; a freak; a prank.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fling of a horse, or a fit of flinging and capering about.
- n. A capricious or freakish action; a wild prank; a foolish or reckless adventure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a wild and exciting undertaking (not necessarily lawful)
- n. any carefree episode
French, a trick, an escape, from Old French, from Old Spanish escapada (from escapar, to escape) or from Old Italian scappata (from scappare, to escape), both from Vulgar Latin *excappāre, to escape; see escape.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French escapade ("the act of escaping; a trick"), from Old Spanish escapada, from escapar ("to escape"), from Vulgar Latin *excappō (“to escape”). (Wiktionary)