from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Used in or appropriate for sports: sporting goods.
- adj. Characterized by sportsmanship.
- adj. Of or associated with gambling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of sport.
- adj. Pertaining to sports
- adj. Exhibiting sportsmanship.
- adj. Having a reasonable chance of success.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or engaging in, sport or sports; exhibiting the character or conduct of one who, or that which, sports.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Engaging or concerned in sport or diversion; specifically, interested in or practising field-sports: as, a sporting man. See sport, n., 9.
- In botany and zoology, assuming the character of a sport. See sport, n., 8, Darwin, Var. of Animals and Plants, p. 413
- n. A sport; a game; specifically, participation in horse-racing, sports of the field, etc.; sports collectively, with all the interests involved in them.
- n. In zoology and botany, spontaneous origination of new and singular characters; the appearance of a sport, or the assumption of that character by an individual animal or plant. See sport, v. i., 3, and n., 8.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. exhibiting or calling for sportsmanship or fair play
- adj. involving risk or willingness to take a risk
- adj. relating to or used in sports
- adj. preoccupied with the pursuit of pleasure and especially games of chance
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The birds spent so much time "following the horses," that they gained the nickname "sporting birds."
Mr. Three per Cent., "said one," this is what you call sporting, is it -- killing starved woodcocks?
You could shop around and talk to guys in sporting goods shops, taking a look at high end rods so that you can make a comparison and decide if it will work for you~ good luck
When shooting doubles, as in sporting clays, you get the option of having two different chokes for ea. shot with an o/u.
I probably shouldn't be allowed in sporting events.
Though soccer has not traditionally had a high profile in American sporting life, since the 1970s the sport has steadily grown in popularity.
In 1988 Johnson became a disgraced Olympic 100m champion who is still branded the most notorious cheat in sporting history.
Just for discussion purposes only, but why are stacked barrels used so much in sporting clays, and trap shooting, and not side-by sides?
A lot of the larger chain sporting goods places put on clinics on these types of things.
Given that Ferrari have been secretly afforded preferential commercial and technical arrangements by the people who run Formula 1, it is only a small step to suggest that those same people also afforded preferential treatment to Ferrari in sporting decisions.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.