from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The practice of accepting payment in exchange for sexual relations; prostitution.
- n. Unlawful sexual relations.
- n. Promiscuous sex.
- n. Bible Unfaithfulness to God; idolatry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the state of being a whore; prostitution
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The practice of unlawful intercourse with the other sex; fornication; lewdness.
- n. The sin of worshiping idols; idolatry.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Prostitution of the body for hire; in general, the practice of unlawful sexual commerce.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. offering sexual intercourse for pay
Middle English hordom, from Old Norse hōrdōmr; see kā- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English horedom ("sexual indulgence; prostitution, fornication, adultery"); equivalent to whore + -dom. (Wiktionary)