from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Power; might.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Power, might or potency.
- n. The high-jump component of the sport of show jumping.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Power; strength; might; force; potency.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Power; strength; force; vigor.
- n. Jurisdiction; power; control.
- n. Armed force.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. power to influence or coerce
Middle English, from Old French, from poissant, powerful, present participle of pooir, to be able; see power.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman pussance, pusaunce et al., from puissant ("powerful"). (Wiktionary)