from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Potency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. power or strength; potency
- n. A stud that acts as a support of a pivot in a watch or clock
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Potency; capacity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Power; potency.
- n. In heraldry: A bearing of the shape of a capital T—that is, a cross tau.
- n. The termination of an ordinary or other bearing when of that form.
- n. In watch-making, the counter-bridge to the main cock or bridge on the top plate of a watch, holding the jeweling for the balance-staff, cylinder, or verge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being potent; a male's capacity to have sexual intercourse
From Old French potence ("power, a crutch"), from Latin potentia ("power, in Medieval Latin also crutch"), from potens ("powerful"); see potent. (Wiktionary)