from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A supernatural force believed to dwell in a person or sacred object.
- n. Power; authority.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A form of supernatural energy in Polynesian religion that inheres in things or people.
- n. Magical power.
- n. Alternative spelling of manna.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Chinese characters as used by the Japanese.
- n. Power in general; authority; influence.
- n. Magical or supernatural power.
Maori, integrity, charisma, prestige.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From a Polynesian source such as Maori mana, ultimately from Proto-Polynesian *mana. (Wiktionary)