from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or policy of seizing people or property for public service or use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of seizing for public use; impressing into public service.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of seizing for public use, or of impressing into public service; compulsion to serve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of impressing; the act of seizing for public use, or of compelling to enter the public service; compulsion to serve: as, the impressment of provisions, or of sailors or nurses.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of coercing someone into government service
From impress + -ment. (Wiktionary)