from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of a woman in the process of giving birth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The final stage of pregnancy; confinement
- n. The bed in which a baby is born
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of a woman bringing forth a child, or being in labor; parturition.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, the bed in which a woman gives birth to a child; hence, the act of bringing forth a child or the state of being in labor; parturition: as, “women in child-bed,” Arbuthnot, Aliments.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. concluding state of pregnancy; from the onset of contractions to the birth of a child
Sorry, no etymologies found.