Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In law: Sufficient estate; property sufficient in the hands of an executor or heir to pay the debts or legacies of the testator or ancestor to satisfy claims against it. Any goods or property or right of action properly available for the payment of a bankrupt's or a deceased person's obligations or debts: generally used to signify resources for the payment of debts, etc. Assets are real or personal. Real assets are lands such as descend to the heir, subject to the fulfilment of the obligations of the ancestor; personal assets are the money or goods of the deceased or insolvent, or debts due to him, which come into the hands of the executor or administrator, or which he is to collect or convert into money.
- Property in general; all that one owns, considered as applicable to the payment of his debts: as, his assets are much greater than his liabilities.
- Any portion of one's property or effects so considered: as, these shares are a valuable asset.
- n. Plural form of asset.
- n. finance Any property or object of value that one possesses, usually considered as applicable to the payment of one's debts.
- n. law Sufficient estate; property sufficient in the hands of an executor or heir to pay the debts or legacies of the testator or ancestor to satisfy claims against it.
- n. Any goods or property properly available for the payment of a bankrupt's or a deceased person's obligations or debts.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Property of a deceased person, subject by law to the payment of his debts and legacies; -- called
assetsbecause sufficientto render the executor or administrator liable to the creditors and legatees, so far as such goods or estate may extend.
- n. Effects of an insolvent debtor or bankrupt, applicable to the payment of debts.
- n. The entire property of all sorts, belonging to a person, a corporation, or an estate; ; -- opposed to
- n. anything of material value or usefulness that is owned by a person or company
“The IRS estimates that about $5 trillion in assets is held in tax havens worldwide.”
“When Treasury buys assets at auction, an institution that has sold more than $300 million in assets is subject to additional taxes, including a 20% excise tax on golden parachute payments triggered by events other than retirement, and tax deduction limits for compensation limits above $500,000.”
“BLITZER: And do you believe that any of your what they call assets overseas have been hurt, arrested, picked up, tortured, because your identity was released?”
“In my history I've always found it imperative to start by getting a clear understanding of the company's enterprise level value assets which I define as the assets that help us build and sustain a competitive advantage.”
“Any decline we have in what we call assets under administration as related to the market decline.”
“While most corporations protect your personal assets from the corporation’s liability, HOA corporations do exactly the opposite, since one of an HOA corporation’s assets is the right to the property of individual home owners.”
“Financial engineering and acquisition integration when it comes to new and old media assets is the bomb, as you plot how to blend assets, what prices to pay, and the war of negotiation, tied into kick ass expense accounts, remuneration as well as equity and fixed cash upside. (compared to a startup where u have a vbig equity stake and need to pain/bootstrap valuation as far as possible for as long as possible before going to next level - you also dont have to rely on technical systems, other than macros in spreadsheets and some of the new fandangled ways of reading encrypted documents and not making copies, circulating them etc as detailed in paper yesterday for the PBL deal)”
“Those who inherit wealth have done nothing but been lucky to have sprung from wealthy loins; for this reason every civilisation has imposed a levy on the transfer of assets from the very wealthy to their children.”
“It had net debt of € 53.89 billion at June 30 and plans to sell assets € 7 billion in assets this year.”
“Just because the value produced by NASA and its assets is not easily measured, you cannot say it is irrelevant.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘assets’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Looking for tweets for assets.