from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something used to cover one's true purpose; a decoy.
- n. A sham candidate put forward to conceal the candidacy of another or to divide the opposition.
- n. A horse trained to conceal the hunter while stalking.
- n. A canvas screen made in the figure of a horse, used for similar concealment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A horse, or a figure resembling a horse, behind which a hunter conceals himself from the game he is aiming to kill.
- n. Something used to cover up a secret project; a mask; a pretense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A horse, or a horse-like figure, behind which a fowler conceals himself on approaching game.
- n. Hence Anything put forward to conceal a more important object; a mask; a pretense.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a horse behind which a hunter hides while stalking game
- n. a candidate put forward to divide the Opposition or to mask the true candidate
- n. screen consisting of a figure of a horse behind which a hunter hides while stalking game
- n. something serving to conceal plans; a fictitious reason that is concocted in order to conceal the real reason
Sorry, no etymologies found.