American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who has a special enthusiasm for or interest in something: a fancier of antiques.
- n. One who breeds a plant or an animal for those features held to be desirable.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who fancies or has a special taste or aptitude: used of one who deals in objects of fanciful taste: as, a bird-fancier; a tulip-fancier.
- n. One who is under the influence of his fancy: as, “not reasoners, but fanciers,” Macaulay.
- adj. comparative form of fancy: more fancy
- n. One who fancies a person with a special interest, attraction or liking for something. An aficionado.
- n. A person who breeds or grows a particular animal or plant for points of excellence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who is governed by fancy.
- n. One who fancies or has a special liking for, or interest in, a particular object or class or objects; hence, one who breeds and keeps for sale birds and animals
- n. a person having a strong liking for something
“It allows Wood to make the same kind of criticism that has always been made of Updike, but to dress it up in fancier crittalk ( "free indirect style"): Updike is too besotted with language.”
“The tadpole fancier is expert at the art of low politics.”
“And coupled with Chabon's obvious joy with the English language, The Yiddish Policemen's Union is a word fancier's delight.”
“She doesn't necessarily think it's a problem that these events are getting "fancier" - which is a weird way to put it - and she's not sure if the law needs to be changed; really, it comes down to who is doing the invitation, and why.”
“And if you want to dine with them, albeit in fancier digs, they’ll also be speaking at a fund-raising dinner to benefit Arts & Lectures at the Palace Ballroom Monday night.”
“Looking at last year’s pictures, I see that most guys were wearing button-down shirts and slacks, with a few (like Chad) in fancier duds.”
“Another large class of birds that make fine pets although they are not strictly in the class of birds bred by the fancier are the ornamental land and water fowl.”
“I make a lot of "fancier" things all the time, but my 1 go-to cheap, delicious recipe is my mom's meatloaf.”
“James I., as became a 'Solomon,' was the master of many books; but not being a 'fancier' he gave them shabby coverings and scribbled idle notes on their margins.”
“Francis Rotch, Esq., of Morris, Otsego county, New York, who is probably the most accomplished rabbit "fancier" in the United States, for information, with which he has kindly furnished us.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fancier’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
dedicated to my man Steven, without whom i would be addicted to drugs, lying in a gutter, hating myself, or hooking somewhere :)
The words on this list need to get out more. Seriously, I can't believe I'm the only person listing them. Won't you please consider offering them a playdate with some of your words? Surely you have...
Words that mean more than what I thought they do.
part two of set 3
Looking for tweets for fancier.