from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A castrated animal, especially a male horse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a castrated male horse
- n. any castrated male animal
- n. a eunuch
- v. Present participle of geld.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A castrated animal; -- usually applied to a horse, but formerly used also of the human male.
- adj. from geld, v. t.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A castrated animal; specifically, a castrated horse.
- n. A castrated man; a eunuch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. castrated male horse
Middle English, from Old Norse geldingr, from gelda, to geld.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old Norse geldingr, from gelda ("to castrate"), whence also English geld (Etymology 2). (Wiktionary)