from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male singer castrated before puberty so as to retain a soprano or alto voice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A male who has been castrated, especially a male whose testicles have been removed before puberty in order to retain his boyish voice.
- n. A male soprano or alto voice produced by castration of the treble singer before puberty, intended to conserve his voice; the singer.
- adj. Castrated; especially castrated prepubescently.
- adj. Having, using or containing the voice of a castrato (noun).
- adj. Originally composed for a castrato.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A male person castrated for the purpose of improving his voice for singing; an artificial, or male, soprano.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A male person emasculated during childhood for the purpose of preventing the change of voice which naturally occurs at puberty; an artificial or male soprano.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a male singer who was castrated before puberty and retains a soprano or alto voice
Italian, from Latin castrātus, past participle of castrāre, to castrate; see castrate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian castrato, from Latin castrō ("to castrate"), likely from caedō ("to cut"). (Wiktionary)