Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of awaking from sleep.
- n. An arousing from what is like sleep; a revival of interest in, or attention to, what has been neglected.
- n. Especially A revival of religion, either in an individual or in a community: a use of the word derived from the Scripture symbol of sin as death or sleep, and conversion as resurrection or awakening.
- Rousing; alarming: as, an awakening sermon.
- adj. Rousing from sleep, in a natural or a figurative sense; rousing into activity; exciting; as, the awakening city; an awakening discourse; the awakening dawn.
- n. The act of awaking, or ceasing to sleep.
- n. religion A revival of religion, or more general attention to religious matters than usual.
- v. present participle of awake.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Rousing from sleep, in a natural or a figurative sense; rousing into activity; exciting.
- n. The act of awaking, or ceasing to sleep. Specifically: A revival of religion, or more general attention to religious matters than usual.
- n. the act of waking
“In both cases the awakening is a touching of the soul towards something beyond the person's own scale of reference, a conversion to outsized realities which, before the dawn of the poem, remained numbed in familiarity, in repression, in security.”
“In 1990, he had what he describes as his "awakening", when a psychic in Brighton told him that he was a healer, placed on Earth for a purpose.”
“As quoted, it did sound like a late-in-term awakening on America’s wars.”
“This turning around in the center of the self has been described as an awakening self-love and self-preservation, which allows the smoker to discover a new way of life without smoking.”
“Among those who had a premarital education awakening is Daniel Stoica, 26, an electrical engineer from Fullerton, Calif.”
“Even his spiritual/ethical awakening is played for laughs and implied to be shallow.”
“I guess being turned to stone by a nameless terror and awakening from the breaking of that spell only to find that everyone you ever tried to help is evil could tend to make one a little crabby.”
“The essence consists in awakening a certain emotional sympathy, in touching the imagination of the reader who knows nothing of the events in question.”
“The time for a national strengths awakening is now.”
“As such, her awakening is crucial to the success of Echo and her allies over Rossum since Clyde — the co-founder of Rossum seen within the Attic in the most recent episode — hinted that his unknown partner is pulling the strings.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘awakening’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
During the month of September, post at least 10 new words to this list. Make sure you cite where you read the word (book/author/pg) and quote the context/sentence where you found it. If someone has...
synonyms of revelation or even catalysts leading revelation (moments of clarity).. whatever they may be (preferably nouns)
also experiences that are possible paths to enlightenment (v...
Rosarians have names for thousands of varieties of roses.
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
mourning the rumored demise of traditional grammar
Looking for tweets for awakening.