American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Inducing enthusiasm or excitement; stirring: a rousing sermon.
- adj. Lively; vigorous: a rousing march tune.
- adj. Used as an intensive: a rousing lie.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A method of curing herring; roiling. See rouse, transitive verb, 6.
- Having power to rouse, excite, or astonish; surprisingly great, swift, violent, forcible, lively, or the like: as, a rousing fire; a rousing pace; a rousing meeting; a rousing lie or oath.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the act of arousing
- adj. rousing to activity or heightened action as by spurring or goading
- adj. capable of arousing enthusiasm or excitement
“Leila Abu Saba posts a statement by Israeli activist, Shulamit Aloni, read at the Saturday Gaza protest, which she described as a rousing speech.”
“Anyone who can preach what you call rousing sermons is considered”
“Nor could he wait the hour designated; for he was fifteen minutes ahead of time in rousing his guest.”
“Jan. 8th, 2010 04: 06 pm (UTC) "The emotions rise from the subtext and take center-stage in rousing number after number until my ability to respond to rousing music kind of numbed out ...”
“The emotions rise from the subtext and take center-stage in rousing number after number until my ability to respond to rousing music kind of numbed out -- although that may have been because I found the music bland -- except for those based most directly on actual ragtime, which were much fresher than the over-wrought ballads and anthems of the rest.”
“People, normally who at this early afternoon hour are just now rousing from the midday sun-induced stupor, seem today to have been infected with some the electricity crackling through the air and scamper about trying finish up any last business.”
“Tiger Woods, who won the last two PGA Championships in rousing fashion, is at an unassuming 1-under par and won't challenge for the title this year.”
“Toledo opened the Tom Amstutz era in rousing fashion as Chester”
“Inman's eyes and the long wound at his neck drew them, and the sound of their wings and the touch of their feet were soon more potent than a yardful of roosters in rousing a man to wake.”
“It 's a very nice thing, and I am perfectly satisfied," announced Mrs. Shaw, rousing from a slight doze.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘rousing’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Words that are as fun to say as do!
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
from 81 to 85
Just fun words!
Looking for tweets for rousing.