from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A highly viscous or semisolid substance used on the skin as a cosmetic, emollient, or medicament; a salve.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A viscous preparation of oils and/or fats, usually containing medication, used as a treatment or as an emollient.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which serves to anoint; any soft unctuous substance used for smearing or anointing; an unguent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fatty or unctuous preparation of such a consistency as to be easily applied to the skin by inunction, gradually liquefying when in contact with it.
- n. Spermaceti, white wax, oil of almonds, and glycerin.
- n. In the German pharmacopoeia, glycerite of starch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. semisolid preparation (usually containing a medicine) applied externally as a remedy or for soothing an irritation
- n. toiletry consisting of any of various substances in the form of a thick liquid that have a soothing and moisturizing effect when applied to the skin
The real fly in the ointment is that fact that you can be guaranteed to have a Lib Dem conference spoilt each year by some nutty motion which might attract the headlines, but puts the party in the dock with the public.
Maybe if Mommy would rub the Desytin ointment in real good he would be able to answer questions.
A very important fly in the ointment is that many German producers opt out of the official system and have their private systems, e.g. Grosses Gewächs, etc. with no dryness/sweetness indicator; one is supposed to know and perhaps Germans, to whom most of these are sold, do know?
Periocular ulcerative dermatitis associated with gentamicin ointment prophylaxis in newborns.
The fly in the ointment is that in a lot of the foreclosure-heavy areas, that $1500-$1800 spread is actually $1500-$4200, after the two year teaser rate mortgage has reset and the rate jumps.
The only fly in the ointment is that despite their good college grades and creditable LSATs, a substantial fraction of the class comes to law school unable to write as well as they think or speak.
I have skin as thin as an onion, but I assure you this cream was the thing that really promoted healing of my breasts, I used it and lanolin but it was easier to tolerate because the nipple ointment is so soft and the lanolin made me scream to get it spread on.
If betamethasone ointment is unavailable, mometasone ointment (15 grams) can be used instead.
Of course the fly in the ointment is that publishing content is not as simple as just creating that content and hitting 'GO'.
The only fly in the conversational ointment is that you are under the cosh to deliver 13 favourites at the end of it all.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.