from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An oily, perfumed hairdressing.
- n. A glossy fabric made from cotton and worsted or cotton and mohair.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hair pomade, making the hair shine brilliantly.
- n. A smooth shiny, luxurious fabric, often of alpaca or vicuña.
- v. To apply brilliantine to the hair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An oily composition used to make the hair manageable and glossy.
- n. A dress fabric having a glossy finish on both sides, resembling alpaca but of superior quality.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A dress-goods for women's wear, similar to alpaca, but superior to it in richness of material and finish.
- n. A name freely and generally employed to designate toilet preparations of variable composition for the face or bair.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a pomade to make the hair manageable and lustrous
French brillantine, from brillant, brilliant; see brilliant.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)