from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A heavy spiced cake containing nuts and candied or dried fruits.
- n. Slang A crazy or an eccentric person: "a fruitcake under the delusion that he was Saint Nicholas” ( John Strahinich).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cake containing dried fruits and, optionally, nuts, citrus peel and spice.
- n. A crazy or eccentric person.
- n. A male homosexual.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a whimsically eccentric person
- n. a rich cake containing dried fruit and nuts and citrus peel and so on
From fruit + cake, 1854. Sense of crazy person 1952 (predated by nutty as a fruitcake, 1914). (Wiktionary)